Saturday, February 25, 2006

George Washington Carver


Carver Tribute

Wikipedia on George Washington Carver

I took a trip Tuesday to Tuskegee, Alabama for a black history project I was working on for my church. I've known about George Washington Carver for a long time, but last February, I re-educated myself about him for the first time as an adult. You know, there is much more to this man than what the history books read. He loved people, and spent all of his life for the betterment of not only his race, but of mankind in general. He was a botanist, geologist, chemist, teacher, mentor, but most of all a philanthropist, always putting the needs of others before himself.

He developed cost friendly ways to produce food, energy, paint, dyes, medicine, paste, rubber, ink, fabrics, paper, beverages, Cosmetics, insecticides, fuel... and the list goes on and on. Having invented 100 uses for the sweet potato, and over 300 uses for the peanut, this man single handedly changed not only th agricultural industry, but also the way it was viewed.

Read more about him. It'll make you feel good to know that people like George Washington Carver have existed and still exist today!

No comments: