Friday, February 24, 2006

Girls TPB by the Luna Bros. no spoilers.

Okay, last week I made a purchase on Amazon. Which usually means I did something stupid, like cleaned out whatever disposable income I had accrued (yeah right - accrued). This time was a bit different, as I had... TAX MONEY! So, my love of the Sequential Medium is on another upswing, so it looks like I'll be reviewing a few books as I read them. Girls was the first book I read from said purchase and I must say, I liked it. There were ups and downs, but the biggest sell point for me, as a reader, is that at the end of the book, I was ready for the next installment.

This book is an eerie, small town suspense-thriller much in the same vein as Stephen King's Maine based stories. without going into any plot details, the concept of this book (which hasn't actually been revealed as of this first TPB) is creepy. The Luna Brother do a great job of pulling you into a story by first making you relate to Ethan's plight with Girls and then, somewhere along the way, you become totally immersed in the twisted world of Pennystown and its inhabitants.

The drawback that some may find to this book is the pacing in the script. Personally, I prefer a character driven story to one in which you are plunged, mid-action into some sequence. This may seem cool, but ultimately, because of the lack of character investment, leaves the reader entertained, but not hooked. Of course this is not only just my opinion - its the right opinion. I hear a lot of criticism about the pacing of a lot of current books, i.e. - Girls, and anything Brian Michael Bendis writes. People complain about these titles, as if someone were making them read said titles. So, my only CAVEAT is that there is a lot of character progression, but plot progression is deliberately slow and paced nicely. I can't wait for the second trade...

No comments: