Monday, May 01, 2006

Vegas part 2 The NAB2006 Conference

What a wild show at NAB! Since this was the first time I have ever been to an NAB event, I was really looking forward to it, and I was not disappointed. There were over 150,000 attendees! I was able to enjoy a lot of demo classes and hands on operation of equipment that is not yet available to the public. It was truly a sight to behold. The event was held at the Las Vegas Convention Center, which is mammoth! I walked around about as much inside the Convention Center as I did outside it on the strip. The exhibitors were awesome, but it was the same old case of "our product is the BEST" everywhere you looked. And, yes, it is a sales pitch, but I prefer facts, not presentations. Some of the best displays that stick out in my mind are Ikegami, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Avid, Adobe, Reflecmedia, Marqee, etc.

I had some interesting classes, but some of them were so remedial that they were borderline useless. What I didn't enjoy about it was that since this was a Worship and Technologies conference, I guess some of the teachers immediately thought "ignorant" was the best word to describe us. In a couple of instances, more than half of the alotted class time had passed without really skirting the class subject. BUT, in the classes I benefitted from, I gleaned a lot of knowledge and inspiration. I would like to go back to the NAB conference sometime, but next time I would like to take some of the regular NAB classes, and not the dumbed down Worship Classes. All in all, however, it was an event that all media geeks should go to at least once.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Cool pictures.

Heh heh..."Digital Extender".