Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Vegas Part 7 - Wednesday with Dick

As you know from my previous ramblings on my Vegas trip, I was very excited to take another Mixed Bag of Tricks class with Dick Reizner. I took a two day seminar from him about 7 or 8 years ago in Birmingham, AL, and it was at that point that I began to realize what a cool profession media can be. There are no sets of rules that you really have to follow, save standards comittee stuff, and you can be as creative as you want to be with media. He's kind of like an encyclopedia of inventive creation. The man can turn anything into a tool, and that is the kind of versatility that more of us need in media. I learned a lot of new tricks from Dick, and was reminded of a few more that I had forgotten. He and I don't know each other, of course, so I considered it an honor when he asked me to assist him demonstrating a few tricks, all of which involved a small strip of gaffer's tape. This was fun to watch him work and get to be a part of it as well. As it so happens, as I was taking notes, I stuck the piece of tape into my note book where it lives today. I know that you might think it weird, but I scanned it to include into this post because of the significant influence Dick has had on my career, even though he doesn't know it. If you would like to read some of Dick's handy hints, they can be found every month in Videography magazine under the title Tips to Clip.

No comments: