Sunday, April 02, 2006

My Neighbor Totoro REVIEW


Okay. I was into anime when everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) in America was calling it "Japanimation". Ugh. How contrived. ANYwho... I watched a lot of anime movies and series back then. So much so that I quickly tired of the genre. However, with Andrew's fascination with Japan, coupled with John Crutchfield's recent discovery and love of all things Miyazaki, I've been watching more Studio Ghible films, including Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro, both shinging examples of what is right with anime. These films overflow with creativity and I am once again becoming a little more interested in anime.

I liked My Neighbor Totoro, but I'm not sure I liked it as much as Howl's Moving Castle. Of course, this is a completely different movie. Totoro, while enchanting and excellent, moved at a much slower pace that Howl's Moving Castle. I developed quite an affection for the children in the film, as they were characterized perfectly in accordance with childhood imaginations. The Totoro scared Cailey a touch when it would scream, "To-To-RO" and such, but she's only 22 months. Other than that, even she enjoyed the film. Perhaps my favorite character in the film is the Nekobus, or catbus. What a strange, disturbing, drug trip character. It was half Cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland and Half Nightbus from Harry Potter. And it had animated testicles. That's always a plus.

All in all, I have to say that I give this film a 9/10 on the Richard White SCALES OF JUDGMENT! I can't say that I liked it as much as Howl's, but I can't discredit anything in the film either, so, a 9 it is. Plus, it has helped to get me back into the Japan scene, and that, my friends, is no small feat!

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Three cheers for Richard finally becoming open-minded to the Japanese scene again! No reason for me to further elaborate here, as you already well know my love for that movie, (and all of Miyazaki's that I've seen). Of course, now you've only sealed your fate...I will be bringing more Miyazaki to future Friday Night "Sitting In The Living Room" sessions!
Bwah ha haaaaa....